Tuesday, October 21, 2008

An Author in the Book Club


One of my favorite "small groups" in our ward Relief Society is the Book Club. We get together monthly and take turns suggesting books to read and leading the discussions on the ones we have all read together. This broadens my horizons considerably as everyone has different tastes. I have enjoyed most all the books chosen.

In our ward is a relatively new author (front and center in the photo), whom we invited to lead the group on her second book. It is "Stoney Creek, Alabama" by Jennifer Youngblood and her mother Sandra Poole. We all liked the book so much that we asked her to do her first book at our next meeting. That one is "Livin' In High Cotton"

"Livin' In High Cotton" is based on the true story of her grandmother (or was that great-grandmother, I don't remember), but it is a very compelling story of the South during the years of the Depression and Prohibition. The fact that it is based on the truth drew me in even more that the equally well written Stoney Creek, Alabama. Stoney Creek is based on a story that takes place in a saw mill. A young girl returns to unravel the mystery of her father's murder.

For our book club I made refreshments of a Mississippi Mud Cake and Buttermilk Pie, both Southern specialities from the story. I had never tasted nor made Buttermilk Pie before so that was scary to try out, but Jennifer, who is a true Southerner said it was one of the best she had ever had. Wow!

Both books are available at Amazon.com and local bookstores. I recommend them. Jennifer's third one is due out shortly and will be called something like "Trailers, Pines, and Power Lines".

4 comments:

Kristin said...

How fun. I wish our ward had a book club. I suppose if I REALLY wanted to I could start it myself but I don't want to be the trail blazer. Don't ask! Maybe another year. How fun to have a writer in the group. It would be hard though if the book wasn't very good. Awkward.

Neener Dog said...

That would be fun to have the author at your book club. It totally trumps a comment on your blog. I agree with Kristin, I would love to have a book club in our ward, but they wouldn't let us unless they were books that specifically said The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on them. Those aren't really the kinds of books that get people to a book club.

Rebekah said...

Having the author there would be amazing and a bit intimidating if you totally missed something in the story. Our ward has a book club, but I have yet to go to it. I tried starting an internet book club, but I was the only one who read the books and posted thoughts about them. Oh well. Maybe we should do a family book club through our blog. Whoever picks the book for the month writes a post on their blog and we respond in the comments.

Jennifer Youngblood and Sandra Poole said...

Hi B.K.,

Thanks for your kind comments about STONEY CREEK, AL and LIVIN' IN HIGH COTTON. It was an honor to visit the book club to discuss my writing, especially among friends. I'm looking forward to our next meeting and can't wait to hear what you all think of LIVIN' IN HIGH COTTON.