Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Favorite Leftover Turkey Recipe

I made these for my Dad once when I was visiting and he said it was the first time he had liked the leftovers better than the original meal. Trust me, they are delicious. I took some as a compassionate service meal to our ward's executive secretary when his wife had a baby. He like them so well he had her get the recipe and make them once a week. So far as I know they still do.

The filling:
2 cups of turkey meat chopped into small bits. (canned chicken also works well when you have no leftovers)
1 small onion, chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 oz. cream cheese
2/3 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
6 tablespoons of butter, melted

Mix all the ingredients of the filling together except the butter. Unroll Pillsbury refrigerator crescent rolls and put a dollop inside each one then roll, pinching the sides a bit to seal in the stuffing. Dip in the melted butter. Then roll in dry Pepperidge Farms herb stuffing mix. (Other brands work fine, you might just have to roll them into crumbs for coating first) Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes until the rolls are golden brown.

Serve with a gravy made from a can of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup sour cream which had been heated.

So, go ahead and eat your ham for Christmas if you must, but then get some canned chicken and try this recipe. You'll be glad you did.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I second that motion. This recipe is yummy!!!!!!

Rebekah said...

It is good stuff! I remember the first time I had it. Amber made it while Ben and I were dating. It was soooo good.