Monday, July 21, 2008

A Diabetic on Vacation

Here we are in Orem, Utah staying with mom-in-law and visiting Timothy and Kristin. So far it has been non stop partying with Krisitin's birthday on Saturday and Joseph's on Sunday. Still celebrating today we went to the India Palace for a sumptious lunch. My favorite was the Korman chicken over rice. Is my life punctuated with food? Most definitely. That's how I became diabetic in the first place.
Just a week before leaving for this trip I had to start on insulin. I use those fancy pen-like needles with the insulin already in them and dial in the amount to shoot in. It couldn't be made easier but who wants to do that anyway? My problem is that sugary foods call to me, especially when I am celebrating but also when I'm too tired to care.
Will I ever get this run away blood sugar under control or will I stay in denial and end up blind with kidney failure, or as an amputee. Of course I know the risks on an intellectual level, but my behavior is still delinquent.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Life would be so much simpler if we could match our intelectual understanding with what we actually do. I feel like I have been nonstop eating too. I love your blog by the way! Keep up the good work!!!!

TimS said...

Look at the bright-side of genetic illness: just think of all the fun fortune-telling you and dad can do on your kids! ;^)

Rebekah said...

Knowing what you should do and doing it are definitely different things. I understand the sweet things calling to you. We have a whole bunch of Hershey bars in our freezer and I know I shouldn't eat them but it is so hard not to. I just can't buy certain things because I know I can't keep myself out of them.

By the way, Happy Birthday today! We have a card for you, but with Lauren starting school yesterday I kind of forgot to mail it. We'll hand deliver it when you come see us. :D