Thursday, November 26, 2009

Pumpkin Log


This Thanksgiving, for the first time, I made a pumpkin log or roll. It turned out really well so I thought I'd share the recipe. I believe I got my copy from Ben and it is called Bro. Brigham's Pumpkin roll and is the same as they use at Great Harvest Bread Company.

First you need to put wax paper on a cookie sheet and then oil that paper also before pouring on the pumpkin ingredients.

Blend together:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup pumpkin
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup flour.

Pour onto the prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees. ( I actually baked mine slightly longer until a knife test came out clean.) Remove from the oven and roll the mixture leaving the wax paper on at this time. Then allow to completely cool before unrolling and putting the filling on.

Filling mixture:
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese
4 teaspoons of soft butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Carefully unroll the cooled pumpkin log and spread with the filling. Then re-roll the log removing the wax paper as you roll. Wrap in foil and refrigerate or freeze until ready for use. It only takes a short time to unfreeze so we set ours out while we ate Thanksgiving dinner and it was ready when we were ready for dessert.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

That turned out really nicely. I'm very impressed. I don't remember if I used wax paper when I tried a pumpkin log. That probably helps a lot. Ben picked up two pumpkin logs today from Great Harvest. We froze one and he is eating the other.

Kristin said...

Yum! I just had the Great Harvest version last night at a girls night. A friend brought it. Thanks for the recipe!