Saturday, December 20, 2008

Gingerbread Extraordinaire

Gingerbread houses are one of the signs of Christmas. Those edible little buildings, that most people have such a hard time getting to stand upright and hold their load of candy, were the subject of our visit to Honolulu yesterday. At the Sheraton's Princess Kauilani Hotel in Waikiki, Chef Ralf Bauer has created a wonderland in gingerbread. He used 60 pounds of dark chocolate, 20 pounds of white chocolate, 30 sheets of gingerbread, and 120 gallons of icing to build a village that covers one side of the hotel's lobby with magic. It took him 250 hours to put this masterpiece together, but it certainly puts all my humble efforts with this art form to shame. Included in the village are a couple of small working trains, a carousel, and a sky ride with little electric lights and plenty of snowy landscaping all around. Topaz, our grandson, was totally fascinated watching the creation in operation. So was I. By the way, that's Chef Bauer with me in the picture.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

That is amazing! My little houses barely stay together long enough for the icing to set. It would be pretty stressful to have to build such a large gingerbread house. What happens to it in the end?

Neener Dog said...

That looks so cool. I've gotten pretty lazy with making my gingerbread houses. I use graham crackers. That village really puts mine to shame. Maybe mine could be a little old shack in the back of the mansion...No, I just watched it again and it isn't even shack worthy.

Rebekah said...

If you open the second picture, the fuzzy one, in its own window it becomes much clearer. It is a long sort of panoramic picture so I think it got squished a bit to fit in your blog and that's why it looks so fuzzy. Pretty amazing stuff. Wonder what gingerbread recipe he uses.

Kristin said...

Last year I swore I would make a Gingerbread house with Graham crackers this year. I caved and bought one a kid. The kids all remembered and looked at me quizzically. Both Joe and Wiz said on seperate occasions when I excitedly showed them what I got at the store, "But Mom, you said that you were going to do Graham crackers this Christmas! " I am glad I am not the only one who has trouble with those. I guess I could make my weakness into my strength like this guy.