Friday, December 26, 2008

'Twas the Birthday of the King


A couple of years ago as I sat pondering the children's Christmas song "'Twas The Birthday of A King" I was struck by how amazing it is that as we celebrate the King's birthday, He would be so generous as to let us remember Him by exchanging gifts with each other. Any earthly King would certainly expect lavish and expensive gifts and only to himself. People would work all year just to have gifts that were presentable to the King. They would travel from the far corners of the kingdom just to be present to bow before the king and give their gift. Now our Heavenly King wants us to commemorate His day by remembering and caring for each other. Of course He wants us to live righteously and keep His commandments, but that is not for some self aggrandizement, but rather for our own happiness. We can trust Him to always have our best interests at the focus of everything He does for us.

2 comments:

Sorensen's said...

Thank you for your card, Aunt BK. This was a wonderful thought, I really appreciated it! I hope you are doing well, and I hope your pacemaker is doing well, that's kind of scary. Happy Holidays!
Love ya Emily

Kristin said...

I like that. I think we do need to remember that the Lord asks us to love him, but then to love one another too. That is the way we find joy in this life. It is too bad we can't remember this feeling all year round, because we could feel it all year if we kept up the service and kindness. I guess it is the same problem as remembering the Savior only on Sunday.